Can Sixth-Graders Take Classes at Mid-Metro Academy?
Do you have a sixth-grade student who is chomping at the bit to take classes outside your home?
Would your life be easier if your sixth-grader could be enrolled in a class at MMA at the same time as your older student?
Do you want to ease your older elementary student into the academy environment?
Some MMA Courses Welcome Sixth-Graders
Although we officially serve students in grades 7 to 12, sixth-graders may take certain classes with the permission of the instructor.
For 2023-2024, the following classes accept sixth-graders (day and period follow course title).
- Art: Drawing, Oil Pastels, and Mixed Media (M2 and M3): Mrs. Adler welcomes sixth-graders who want to practice and improve their artistic skills.
- Craft Club (SM3): Mrs. Kleppe is excited to welcome sixth-graders into her Craft Club. Space is limited so register early.
- Creative Writing (SW3): Mrs. Hope's Creative Writing class is a perfect introduction to writing for any middle schooler.
- Culinary Arts (M3 and M4): Younger students who enjoy cooking will have a lot of fun in this class. They’ll become great assets to their families after taking this class.
- Group Guitar Lesson (W1&2): What a great way for your sixth-grader to develop his or her musical abilities! The group lesson format is cheaper than individual lessons, plus it’s a fun way for students to learn to play music with others. They’ll still receive individual attention from the instructor, Mr. Depoian.
- Intro to Computer Technology (M2): If your sixth-grader is hooked on computers already and can’t wait to learn more about them, he or she is welcome in this class that teaches computer basics for school and personal use. Mr. Paschen advises parents not to push this class on kids, but if they’re motivated, they can do well in this course.
- Language Arts Skills Workshop (W4): This course is specifically designed for sixth or seventh grade students who need extra help with reading comprehension, reading fluency, spelling, and writing. Mrs. Hope will provide one-on-one instruction to the students enrolled in this group tutoring session. Class size is limited, so sign up soon!
- Memory & Magic (SW4): Sixth graders are welcome to join Mr. Miller's class in the spring 2024. He will teach them amazing memory techniques along with a little bit of magic.
- Minnesota History (SM4): This one semester class taught by Mrs. Kleppe is open for 6-8 grade. It will be a wonderful dive into our state's amazing history.
- Nanowrimo Novel Writing (FM3): Mrs. Kleppe is excited to teach this new class at Mid-Metro this fall to middle schoolers. Space is limited, so sign up early.
- Percussion Ensemble/Drum Line (M5): Does your sixth-grader have rhythm? Let him or her develop that skill with some new friends under Mr. Paschen’s instruction. This unique class needs a few more participants to run. It’s inexpensive (check out the reduced tuition) and convenient. It meets for an hour at the end of the day on Mondays.
- Sci Girls (FM4): This course, led by Mrs. Kleppe, is perfect for middle-school girls. It meets only during the fall semester.
- Study Skills for Academic Success (FW3): This course is a wonderful course for middle schoolers to take to equip them with study skills to help them be successful in future classes.
- Teamwork & Leadership(SM1): This course, taught by Rebekah Jorgensen, is a great course for middle school age students.
- WordSmart (SM4): Mrs. Sandberg will gladly accept sixth-graders into this fun English class.
- Writing with Confidence Intro Level (M1): Mrs. Hope will accept sixth-graders who love writing and are already good at composing paragraphs. Please contact her at [email protected] before enrolling your sixth-grader.
To learn more about these classes and to register, visit the Class Registration page. Full-year and fall semester classes begin on September 6 and September 11, 2023.